Sunday, January 10, 2010

Waist High in Fluff

I may have lost my mind but I got a drum carder this week. It was a long thought out decision and I had to get a loan in order to buy it. The loan is from someone I know and now I owe them money. Oh well.

I broke the drum carder in right away. I used some Alpaca and some Bamboo to get things moving. I chose these because it was recommended in the manual that you not use your best fibers first. "Dust" might get into them and make them gray. So I chose gray fibers to start. That was too wordy.

Anyway, this is my first batt. I am proud of it! I made another one after this one and it was better.

Then I finished off my green milk fiber with some bamboo. I have been working on this mix for a long time. I made a massive batt.

It spun like a dream!!! I was able to just blow through it and finish my yarn. The second skein is different compared to my first one that was just hand carded. I think I am going to make a shawl with this yarn.

I have also made my first art yarn. It was lots of fun! I need to make a little more so I can make a hat. It is bamboo. I think the next session will be a different kinda yarn. That will make the hat even better. The only problem with making art yarn is my orifice on my wheel. It is too small for major bulky yarn. That is ok. I think this size is pretty good.


Last but not least, I have been working on this shawl. I would have had it done if I didn't have shoulder pain for two weeks straight. I am hoping to get it done soon. It is fun knitting but I would rather be wearing it right now. The yarn is made by Wolle's Yarn Creations, so much fun!

No comments: