Friday, January 22, 2010

Fiber Rainbows

My fist major attempt at dyeing fiber was pretty successful. I used the non-toxic Kool Aid and food coloring techniques. I had some alpaca and some nylon to dye. I dyed the fiber bright and in rainbow type colors. I am very pleased with the outcome of this adventure. It only took a day and my house smelled great when I was done.

I carded up everything so that I have 2oz batts (1/2oz alpaca and 1 1/2oz of nylon) of each color. The next step is to spin it up into sock yarn. I hope I can keep it consistent. I also hope that the color doesn't bleed. When I rinsed the fiber after dyeing it seemed pretty colorfast. I guess I will find out when I set the twist after spinning. Below are some pictures of all the carded batts.

The fluorescent blue and pink are just nylon roving and not actually batts.










Since I was in the carding mood I also took the fluorescent purple nylon and carded it with some purple bamboo.


2 comments:

Xiane said...

I just want to dive right into those! Yum!
I keep meaning to try kool-aid dyeing - I even have the packets here, I'm just a procrastinator. ;)

z said...

Those colors are gorgeous Maya! You're so creative! I wish I had time & a normal brain to devote any focus to this kind of artsy crafting. I'm glad I can live vicariously through you though! Really beautiful colors!!! =D <3