Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Very Sad Story

The baby bird from an earlier post made it to our door after a rain storm on Saturday. It just came inside. We had to grab it and take it back outside. I am not sure how it got so far away from the original spot.

I called the wildlife center and they told me to leave it in the yard and that the mother bird would come to feed it. It was a fledgling so it would be on the ground for about 4 days. It should be away from pets and people. We live in an apartment complex so that is kind of hard. I watched from the window and the mother bird came and fed it all day. I brought it back in the yard a couple of times because I didn't want the local cat to eat it. I am not sure if this was the right thing to do or not. (I should also mention that the wildlife center said that it is ok to touch the bird. It is just an old wives tail that the mother will not come back for it. However, after the first touch to get it out of the apartment, I used a branch to move him. He would get on it and I would move him to a safe spot. I am a little concerned that this was not the best thing for me to have done. Yet, I don't think he could fly and I think the mother bird knew that.)

Sunday the mother bird never showed up. I started to get really concerned. I thought maybe I was missing the feeding. The baby bird started to drop its head and sleep a lot. It kept moving to shade. When we went out he was on the sidewalk so I moved him under a tree. Later that evening we checked up to see if he had taken flight or what. He was dead. It was very heartbreaking. I know that it is nature and that some birds die but it was still a sad thing. We buried him in the corner of the yard.

Here are some pictures from Saturday. Bird in hands to get it out of apartment.

Bird shaking off some rain.

Bird looking for it's mother.

No comments: