Monday, October 4, 2010

Fall Fiber and Alpacas

I have discovered that I have a color theme for each fiber festival or event I have attended. Shenandoah seemed to be blue while Fall Fiber was purple. The event I spun at was black and white. I just find it interesting and I am wondering what color theme SAFF will be???

At Fall Fiber I purchased a skein of silk and a skein of linen. I also, even after telling myself I had enough yarn, purchased a mega ball of Wolle's color changing yarn...it's purple...how could I say no? I got some Country Classics Dye to try and another spindle...this one is a supported spindle. It has a little dish with it too. I got a shawl pin and some loom bobbins too.

I watched some of the sheep dog trials. It is really amazing to watch the dogs. They are so intense! I also watched a little bit of sheep shearing done by hand, no electric clippers. That was interesting. Poor little sheep.

After all of this it was nice to get a day to spin. At the alpaca farm I got a good bit of spinning done but I did have lots of distractions. I started the day off spinning a little bit of black roving and then I switched to white. I plied them together to make a small skein of yarn. It turned out really well. I went back to the white because it was SO soft! Plus, I was wearing black so I figured it was a better demo if you could see the fiber I was spinning. When I was leaving Gail (the owner) gave me an 8oz bag of black roving!! I am such a fiber addict. *will work for fiber* ;)

I will spin up some of the black and ply it with the white on my bobbin to make some more zebra yarn.

Sample skein: Zebra

I had such a great time at Platinum Alpacas. I got to talk to all kinds of people and explain and show what spinning is all about. I used my Mazurka wheel cause it is so pretty and spins great. I also used my two new spindles. I am going to be very honest. The Trindle was way overpriced but I liked it and I got it anyway. I really did not like spinning on it this weekend. I am not sure if I just need more time to get use to the lightness of it or what but I give it a thumbs down for right now. I am not happy with that purchase. The heavier supported spindle I give a thumbs up. It spun like a champ!

No comments: