I have embarked on a journey to train myself to not be allergic to wool! I don't know if this is possible but I am trying it out.
As a spinner I want to be able to spin some wool and have a comparison to the luxurious fibers I already spin. So far I have just been touching different kinds of wool in different stages.
Unwashed or minimally processed wool makes my hands break out and my lips numb.
Wool that has been dyed and is in roving has made the top part of my hands not feel so great but has not broken my skin out. My lips seem fine.
Wool in the stores ready to buy seems to have minimal or no effect on my hands or lips.
My conclusion is this. I think I am allergic to the lanolin in the wool so the more processed it is the better. I think my skin is too sensitive to actually wear wool and I don't plan on knitting with it either.
To put this theory to the test I purchased the June Phat Fiber box. I was able to touch everything in there with out reaction. I did stay away from angora and mohair as I know they irritate me no matter what. The next step is to actually spin the samples up and see what happens. I do have glove in a bottle to try too. It is used in art to keep your hands from absorbing inks etc. So that is my plan!
.jpg)
1 comment:
Be careful, lovely one! I don't want you to end up making your allergy even worse [or even give yourself anaphylaxis].
I've been abstaining from Phat Fiber boxes while business has been slow, but wow! I wish I'd picked up that one. Beautiful stuff!
Post a Comment